Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Introduction

As a private teacher of english as a foreign language I remember myself trying to select the appropriate textbooks for my students. I found this process quite challenging for a novice teacher as me. For this reason, I started searching for guidelines in the literature.


 Byrd gives some recommendations for facilitating the process of selecting and implementing coursebooks. She points out that in many cases teachers may not have the right to be involved in the selection process of course books as these may have already been selected by an administrator. She refers to checklists as a way of evaluating course books by indicating how difficult the construction of a checklist might be. She notifies that although these checklists provide us with an example that may be useful, teachers should scrutinize and adapt them in their own situation.






 ( Byrd, P. (2001) Textbooks: Evaluation for selection and Analysis for Implementation. In Celce-Murcia, M. (ed.), Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language. Heinle & Heinle: Thomson Learning. 415-427.)

No comments:

Post a Comment